Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pets...


The vial that they bring the injection in

Well, my first PET scan is behind me.  Really, it wasn't so bad.  They put you in a little room in a recliner of sorts, start an IV & shoot a radiotracer into you.  Its really pretty cool how it works - the radiotracer rides on sugar molecules to the parts of your body that are "active" (I think translates to where the cancer is).  Evidently cancer likes sugar more than other parts of your body.  So you wait an hour for it to get all into your body then they put you on the table - much like a CT scan but the machine is a lot bigger and it takes a lot longer.  This is pretty much what it looks like.  We were there for about 2 hours total.  You can't eat or drink for 6 hours beforehand - I guess so your blood sugar will be good & low & the sugar will move fast!

A PET/CT Scanning Machine


Now, we wait.  This part is really hard - sitting and waiting.  I jokingly told someone today that I'm blissfully ignorant right now...  That, I suppose, is partially true.

While I'm on the subject of Pets, thought today would be a good day to talk about our menagerie.  We have a not-very-well-enforced rule in our house that we can have no more than 4 pets at any one time.  Right now we have 2 dogs, 3 cats, and 3 fish.  So much for rules - they are made just to be broken anyway right!  Pets have always had a special place in my heart; Eriana asked me yesterday morning why dogs are man's best friend.  How do 5 year olds know what man's best friend means?

Today's image is another from my collection.  I took this Bald Eagle photo while I was on a boat tour of Naples last spring.  It was pretty far away but luckily I had the right lens on at the right time!  He is so gorgeous.  See how he's sitting patiently at the top of this dead tree waiting?  Thats me today.  Just not quite so majestic.  Or patient.

More when I know more!  Thanks again to everybody for your wonderful comments about my writing.   You keep me motivated to keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading our comments!