Friday, January 13, 2012

Oh, The Places You'll Go

A friend sent me this Dr Seuss poem last night.  Its really long so I won't include the whole thing here - you can easily google it.  This section in particular seemed relevant to our current situation.

...
And when you're alone, there's a very good chance
you'll meet things that scare you right out of your pants.

There are some, down the road between hither and yon,
that can scare you so much you won't want to go on.

But on you will go
though the weather be foul.
On you will go
though your enemies prowl.
On you will go
though the Hakken-Kraks howl.
Onward up many
a frightening creek,
though your arms may get sore
and your sneakers may leak.

On and on you will hike,
And I know you'll hike far
and face up to your problems
whatever they are.
...



Funny how a kids' poem can speak to a 40 year old Mom!  Maybe the next few months will be "Hakken-Kraks howl".  Even though I'm pretty sure I'm going to be pretty sore (for real!), it won't stop me from hiking and going places I'm intended to go.


The kids & I have been busy cooking since we got home.  We have created homemade chicken enchiladas for dinner and a yummy looking country pear & blueberry cobbler.  And Emilia & Eriana made the dough for our beignet breakfast tomorrow all by themselves.  This is funny - Emilia is going to teach our nanny to cook on Monday.  I don't think I have to worry about starving while I'm out of commission - EB is an excellent cook and so is Kendall.  Lucky me!




So, for today's picture, this is my Uncle Richard, my Mom & my Uncle David at our wedding in 1997.  15 years ago on February 15th.  My Uncle Richard lives in the north of England with his wonderful wife, Anne.  They have an amazing farm there; we spent spring break with them a couple years ago - neither of my kids wanted to come home & Eri was only 18 months old.  We need to go back soon.  Richard has beaten cancer a couple times already.  I'll leave my Mom for last.  My Uncle David passed away 3 years ago.  He fought a lot of types of cancer with his beautiful and amazing wife by his side.  He lived a pretty awesome life, as an entrepreneur & executive in advertising.  I didn't really get to know Marlena & David until I went to West Point.  Developing a relationship with them was one of the most important things that came from my West Point experience.


Last, but not least, my dear old Mom.  She was English.  British, if I'm to be proper.  She & my Dad met in Budapest while each working for their respective embassies.  She didn't hesitate to leave everything and everyone she knew and move to the U.S. with my Dad.  My Mom was fiesty - no doubt about that.  She was also highly intelligent, meticulous, hilarious, and sometimes mean as hell!  Nobody ever wanted to be on her bad side.  She was diagnosed with breast cancer when I was a senior in college.  She fought it viciously and survived for 8 years before it finally got the best of her.  There are a lot of traits I got from my Mom (obviously the "mean as hell" one!).  Thats the one I'm going to use to beat this!


So, thats today's musings.  Looking forward to a relaxing weekend doing something creative with my friend Mindy and her daughter on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading our comments!