Saturday, January 28, 2012

Back home!

Well it's been quite a 24 hours. I wasn't allowed to eat after midnight Thursday. Surgery wasn't scheduled until 3 pm yesterday so Kendall & I made good use of a free morning. We ran some errands & had nice long massages! Got to the hospital about 12.30. They are experts at Vanderbilt on every aspect of the experience. They have surgery processing down to a science. So they called us to the pre-op area around 1. Said they were ahead of schedule - never heard of that. Anyway, they had it going in pre-op. fantastic nurses. Gorgeous, I mean excellent, anesthesioloists. Spent about 30 minutes there then off to the OR. The last thing I remember is them making me crawl from the gurney to the operating table. I'm sure my hiney was flapping in the breeze. Next thing I knew I was waking up in the Recovery room with more awesome nurses. It was hard to talk from having the tube down my throat but they gave me some sprite. I hate sprite but it just may be the best thing I ever drank! Then the pain started. Good drugs for that in recovery but after I left there just plain ole Percocet. Spent the night last night in the observation unit. Pretty cool concept for those not quite ready to go home from surgery but not needing a full on hospital room. I finally started feeling human around 4 or 5 this morning. Kendall came back, ate some breakfast & they sent us on our way. The girls had a blast with Holly last night. And Christine took EB to her last swim meet today. And our great neighbors watched Eri this morning. I've learned I suck at asking for help. I'm equally bad at sitting around doing nothing. Need to improve at the former. No desire to be good at doing nothing. Gonna be a long two weeks! The girls and Kendall are being so sweet to me. Kendall doesn't want me to lift a finger. EB made me some fresh, hot, gooey chocolate chip cookies all by herself. And Eri wanted to see the bandage & ask a lot of questions. She likes Mommy being immobile - lots of snuggle time! So, I have a pretty big incision it's well bandaged. Doc said I can take a shower tomorrow & remove the dressing Monday. I go back in 2 weeks to get the stitches out & hear the pathology report. Seems likely radiation will follow. Chemo not sure that jury is still out I think. To sum it up, I'm glad L.U.M.P. is no longer a part of me, I'm thankful to live so close to such a fantastic, world-class health care facility with doctors, nurses & caregivers who are second to none, and I feel like one lucky chic. I have the most supportive family and friends beyond anything I could ever wish, dream or hope for! Now to heal!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading our comments!