Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Time Ticks On...

Crick, crick, crick, crick, crick - the sound of the IV.  Nearly done with the first half of Cycle #2.  Hooray. 

So, no blood clot in my left leg.  The swelling is attributed to lymphadema - swelling in a limb after removal of a lymph node.  As it was explained to me, the body has to re-learn how to filter fluids out of your body once the lymph nodes are gone.  Sometimes it happens fast, sometimes it takes a while.  So we are just monitoring it for now.  If it doesn't improve then I will go to the Lymphadema Clinic which is like physical therapy basically where they work on getting the fluids to drain.  One doctor described it as the tissue is like a sponge - soaking up water - so it isn't big pockets of fluid its dispersed throughout the leg.  Meanwhile it still looks hideous.

My blood counts were good yesterday.  That neulasta is amazing - my WBC was 15.7 - for those fellow cancer patients or anybody familiar with blood counts that is pretty doggone high.  My RBC was a bit low but not low enough to get platelets.  So, so far so good on that front too.

I spent a couple hours in radiation therapy yesterday afternoon.  I have about 12 (Eriana counted them) sharpie marks on my leg & belly.  I got my first treatment yesterday, second one will be this afternoon.  Then every day until May 7th I believe.

This morning Eriana & I went to Emilia's recognition for making the Head's List at school.  Pretty stringent criteria - grades have to average about 95 with no grade lower than an 85.  She was one of 4 or 5 in her class to receive the award (all girls of course).  She got it in the first quarter as well & last quarter she was on Dean's List.  Smart cookie - we are all proud of her!

They start swim team on the 22nd at their new place - its called Seven Hills & is right near our house.  Our neighbors across the street are active there & we decided to see if its a better fit for us than the Y at this stage in our lives. 

For photo therapy today I chose this hawk image.  I took it in Naples last spring.  His eyes are hauting huh.  I wouldn't want to be that rat or snake he is hunting down.  Of course I wouldn't really want to be any rat or snake...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading our comments!