Thursday, November 29, 2012

In My Heart

I've got a few friends in my heart this week.  And I've been reminded of some of the lessons I've learned this year that I'm already forgetting.  Been a reflective, interesting time for me.

Last night we were lucky to have a last minute visit from one of my oldest friends.  I feel so ancient when I write this, but Kirsten & I have known each other for 24 1/2 years.  It doesn't seem possible that we met that long ago, when we were roommates with another crazy person during our first semester at West Point.  Some things change with time and some don't, though.  And even though we only see each other every 8 or 9 years (the last time was at her wedding in 2004), friendships and those bonds from shared hardships (& fun) last forever.  We enjoyed having her for dinner & catching up on the last decade or so.  I just burst with pride when I think about Kirsten - she's a super successful Army psychiatrist - she's one of those people who so genuinely cares about others it just amazes me.  I'm really lucky she's my friend.  I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture though. Damn it!

I have another couple of close friends in my heart this week who are going through some very difficult personal times.  I hadn't reached out to one of them because I didn't know what to say.  And I woke up this morning thinking, thats ridiculous - what if all my friends hadn't reached out to me these last 9 months because they didn't know what to say - how would I feel??  And then I remembered one of this year's painfully learned lessons - life is too short - don't wait to know the right thing to say or the right time to say it.  Just do it.

So, on a happier note I have upgraded my photo storage & now you can see my office all happy & holiday looking!  If you look closely at the tree you will see Wanda & her team are well represented in my little Christmas tree with all my Starbucks ornaments. LOVE them.  I'll post some pics of the house later this weekend - Emilia is still putting the finishing touches on the Christmas village.  Actually it was finished but then we ordered some new pieces and before we got those, the cats decided to play with the snow so she decided to redo it all.  I'm really not sure where she gets her perfectionist tendencies(-:




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading our comments!